New versions and updates of the Web Gateway appliance software are provided as main or controlled releases. The upgrade procedure is different for both types of releases.
When a new version has been developed for Web Gateway, it is provided as a controlled release. This means that this version is not yet considered stable.
With every update that follows a new version, Web Gateway development resolves issues that still occurred. After a few updates are released with issues resolved, an update follows that is first provided as a controlled and then as a main release, which means the updated version is now considered stable.
All following updates are also provided as main releases.
Sample version with main and controlled releases
- 7.7.2 new version — controlled release
- 22.214.171.124 update — controlled release
- 126.96.36.199, update — controlled release
- 188.8.131.52 update — controlled release
- 184.108.40.206 update — main release
- 220.127.116.11 update — main release
- all further updates — main releases
Choosing an upgrade pattern
When new versions and updates are released, you can:
- Upgrade to all new versions and updates, including main and controlled releases
- Upgrade only to updates that are released as main releases
If you want to benefit from the new features and enhancements that a particular new version provides, you might prefer not to wait until an update of this version is provided as a main release.
Then you will rather upgrade to a new version immediately or to one of its first updates. You can also upgrade to any new version or update without following a pattern.